Woman and two children recovering after gas explosion in Newry

You are viewing content from Q Belfast 96.7/102.5. Would you like to make this your preferred location?

By Bob Huggins

A mother and four children sustained burn injuries when their gas cooker exploded while they were preparing dinner.

The incident happened in Newry, Co Down on Monday night.

The woman, 34, and the three boys and a girl sustained burns to their face and hands.

All required hospital treatment.

Northern Ireland Fire and Rescue Service group commander Max Joyce said firefighters were able to administer first aid on arrival at the property in Barcroft Park.

"I think the children in particular were in a fair degree of shock and I think it was very, very lucky it wasn't a bigger explosion," he said.

Mr Joyce told QRadio news the cause was likely to have been a faulty gas cooker.

"They were cooking their meal as you would expect with any family and I am quite sure they didn't expect that to happen," he said.

"When we got to the property it was clear there had been some kind of explosion. No one was there, the family was evacuated and had moved to a house a few doors up. 

"Luckily one of our firefighters is also a paramedic, part time in both, and he was able to give trauma care there and then."

Mr.Joyce continued "In this particular instance I believe the family were extremely lucky it wasn't more serious for them."

More from Q Radio Local News


Join the Thank Q Club

Sign up for the Thank Q Club and receive exclusive offers, fun competitions and amazing prizes - it's quick and easy to do!

Sign Up Log In

Listen on the go

Download the Q Radio app to keep listening, wherever you are! It's available on Apple and Android devices.

Download from the App Store Download from Google Play