Prince Charles tests positive for coronavirus

You are viewing content from Q Mid Ulster 106. Would you like to make this your preferred location?

by Q Radio News

Prince Charles has tested positive for coronavirus. 

Clarence House confirmed the news in a statement, saying the 71-year-old Prince of Wales had been displaying"mild symptoms" on Sunday and was then tested on Monday, with the results coming through late on Tuesday night. 

The spokesman said the heir to throne "otherwise remains in good health".

Meanwhile, the Duchess of Cornwall has also been tested but not does not have the virus.

They are both self-isolating in Scotland. 

The full statement said, "The Prince of Wales has tested positive for coronavirus," the statement said.

"He has been displaying mild symptoms but otherwise remains in good health and has been working from home throughout the last few days as usual.

"The Duchess of Cornwall has also been tested but does not have the virus. In accordance with government and medical advice, the Prince and the Duchess are now self-isolating at home in Scotland.

"The tests were carried out by the NHS in Aberdeenshire where they met the criteria required for testing.

"It is not possible to ascertain from whom the Prince caught the virus owing to the high number of engagements he carried out in his public role during recent weeks."

Prince Charles' last public event was a reception and dinner in aid of the Australian bushfire relief effort on 12 March, which took place at Mansion House in London.

Earlier that day the Prince of Wales had attended an investiture ceremony at Buckingham Palace, where he greeted recipients with a non-contact gesture due to concerns about the spread of the illness.

Sky News' royal correspondent Rhiannon Mills said that since then Charles has a "small number of meetings", and that all people he has come into contact with have been tested.

Doctors believe he would have been contagious since 13 March.

He last met the Queen on the morning of 12 March and the monarch is said to be in "good health" and following all appropriate health and safety advice.

Following Prince Charles' diagnosis, Buckingham Palace said: "Her Majesty The Queen remains in good health.

"The Queen last saw the Prince of Wales briefly on 12 March and is following all the appropriate advice with regard to her welfare. We will not be commenting further."

More from Q Radio Local News


Join the Thank Q Club

Sign up for the Thank Q Club and receive exclusive offers, fun competitions and amazing prizes - it's quick and easy to do!

Sign Up Log In

Listen on the go

Download the Q Radio app to keep listening, wherever you are! It's available on Apple and Android devices.

Download from the App Store Download from Google Play